Tuesday, February 10, 2009

dust bunnies

"I think of a gesture of love as anything we do that helps others discover their humanity".

This quote really resonated with me. I'm not really sure what humanity means fully, but I do know that I find divinity in it when my heart is open.

Recently, my friend Jen and I were talking about the human experience, and it's apparent uniqueness. Humanity is so improbable! Sometimes it seems so much so that chance doesn't seem like a sufficient explanation. As Jen said to me, how crazy is it that we, who are made a the same stuff as clouds of dust floating in space, happen to have these molecules that have organized themselves so perfectly over millions of years as to become sentient beings! That we can sit together and have a conversation...type on this thing called a computer...give each other hugs and feel happy. How improbable! And really special. 

And you know? Actually this whole universe is boundlessly amazing and improbable. We could have been clouds of star dust, but instead we are complicated beings in an unfathomable complex web of systems. I am in awe of all of it.

And it doesn't end: www.earthsky.org/radioshows/53007/space-moth-surprises-astronomers

No comments:

Post a Comment